ORGANIC Herbs & Spices: Wormwood, Hyssop herb, Calamus root, Lemon Balm, Anise seed, Fennel seed, Star Anise, Coriander seed, filtered water & alcohol
Absent has a bittery Licorice Fennel type flavor. I put together the herbs for someone who was making their own Absinthe liquor so I decided to make it into a bitters. I tweaked the recipe a little bit and it turned out very nice.
It can be used to stimulate the appetite, ease digestion or to help rid the body of parasites. It also has calming attributes.
- Pour 1 cup good Brandy into a pint jar.
- Add 2 Tablespoons Bitters
- Followed by 1/4 cup Honey
- Mix. Flavors mellow & smooth out if allowed to sit for a week or so.
Enjoy before a meal – After a meal – Before Bed – While reading a book!
Bitter compounds can be used in many different reasons & for many different ways & dosages.
Reasons: for using Bitter compounds
(*from Christopher Hobbs: Foundations of Health – Healing with Herbs & Foods)
- Poor fat digestion
- Poor protein digestion
- Weakness due to chronic illness, especially when accompanied by viral or bacterial infections
- Loss of zest for life, lowered vital energy
- Painful digestion, intestinal cramps, excessive gas
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Poor appetite
- Anemia, low hematocrit
- Excessive craving for sweets (his own observation)
- Immune-based disorders where nutritional deficiency is present
- Especially effective for digestive weakness due to mental overwork & lack of exercise
Other reasons why some people use Bitter compounds
- Low stomach acid
- Congested liver & gallbladder
- Heart burn & acid reflux
- Low blood sugar – full bitters cleanse
- Intestinal inflammation & Bloating
Ways & Dosages: of taking Bitter Compounds
- Tea made from a single herb or several herbs
- Tincture or Liquid Extract – most preferred way of taking bitters
- Taken only when needed to stop stomach upset, heart burn, slow digestion or acid reflux.
- Small amount before each meal to encourage better digestion
- Small amount after each meal to encourage better digestion
- Daily for a personal health concern
- As a full cleanse; this could be a day, week or even a full month
DISCLAIMER: The information and stories told on this site are provided for educational & entertainment purposes only and are not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional. The products and statements on this site have not been evaluated by United States Food and Drug Administration.